Thursday, May 22, 2008

Blogs and Flickr

I've created a blog and have enjoyed reading the Web2 articles. They were a real eye-opener for me. I also enjoyed viewing librarian links on Flickr. My son and I had a conversation about the library's use of blogs and Flickr. Since he is young (22) and hip I wanted his input. He said that Flickr isn't used by young people. He said that anyone his age wouldn't be caught dead on it. That Flickr is for "old people" - like his mother. I guess kids use Myspace. In terms of blogs his take corresponded with our present best use of blogs, i.e., for internal communication between branches for programming and collection issues. From that stand point I would anticipate the growth of blogs.

I have very much enjoyed using LibraryThing. It helps me with readers advisory. I really enjoyed the link to "orangeful's" blog and her link to her LibraryThing. I actually requested one of her books on her site to read. I can also use her blog link to do readers advisory in science fiction - which is an area where my skills are weak. So... I guess that I am saying that we could emphasize LibraryThing to our patrons. I don't know how many I've personally told about Librarything when they say that they wished that our library could keep track of what they have read.
It might also be useful to have genre blogs maintained by staff that are accessible to the public. It is possible that with advertising the library could even make a bit of money. So many of us are avid readers that these blogs could serve useful purposes to both patrons and other members of the staff.

No comments: