Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Researching issues with OPML and RSS

I couldn't understand why My RSS link to my blog wouldn't show complete subscriptions. To date, all I've been able to do is to share one article at a time.

Perhaps someone out there has figured out a way to do this. I tried to export the OPML of my scubscriptions to the placeholder on my blog that previously held the shared RSS article. At the time of this writing all the link shows is a message that says da... subscription. Perhaps it is still loading. I will give it a little time before changing back.

I was looking at the UTube and podcast information and that is what got me interested in OPML.
Apparently OPML allows one to read content of RSS feeds as a bundle- at least in theory. If you google OPML, the articles are very techy. Since, in this area, I am not, they are difficult for me to interpret usefully.

In terms of Utube and podcasts it is readily apparent how they could be used by the library system. We could have a explanatory video uploaded in Spanish on how to access information in the library and spanish resources available. Of course we could just make a printed link to do this as well-assuming the person can read fairly well.

Colleges are uploading course units in RSS feeds. We could offer something similar on how to use the computers, sign up for cards, genealogy. I think that a really great one would solve the current problem that those of us on the info desks are seeing daily - that is the person coming into the library to apply for basic jobs online. We don't have sufficient time to give them personal tutorials. We do refer them for one-to-one lessons at the bigger branches but you can usually see the look on their faces of frustration and resignation. Many of us are discussing this need to assist these kinds of patrons. All the big box stores and supermarkets are sending people to the library to apply for jobs and many have never touched a computer with a web application. Podcasts,etc. might serve a useful purpose here. I have always thought that Michael Gannon's readers advisory workshops ought to be taken to the big screen - which in our case might mean the web. His presentations are informative and hugely entertaining. There are numerous ways to present information in this type of format and in future years I am sure we will use it. We know that C. Co. and Pratt are using them now. All we need is time - right?

1 comment:

hravan said...

Michael Gannon Live!