Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Utubing and Wikis

I'm jumping around a bit in this post so bear with. I posted a response to my investigation of Utube and mentioned Mashups and Google mashups. From this information I developed my own Google map. The map idea actually came out of reading about Utube. I have uploaded two little films to the programming blob so take a look.

How can this type of informatin be used in the library. The libraries can be registered as business links on Google Maps with information about hours, etc. that would be a practical application of a Mashup for us.

I already posted comments about podcasts, etc in the library. I think the programming blog is becoming a practical application for sharing visual information about programs taking place in the branches.

I just completed the Wiki readings. I think the article on what can be done with Wikis in the library covers many ideas. An additional idea that I have is to suggest the input of staff in the long range plan process with a Wiki. Goals and objectives could be written on a Wiki web site with invitations for thoughtful recommendations for implementation. These could be used/or not while the committees consider their final recommendations for the upcoming plan.
The Wiki could then be maintained for purposes of following the implementation of the plan in future years.

Another idea for a Wiki in the branch is the programming plan. We start with general ideas and set programs. As the ideas are finalized and staff assigned, the wiki can be used as the basis for the plan with team input. These programming wikis could be shared by other programming teams at other branches.

2 comments:

theothers23 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bookpusher said...

Well looks like the Long Range plan idea and Wiki is a happening thing now. And we have set up a programming Wiki here at the branch. Fast work!